Resolve

This morning I exercised alone. My friend is out of town and Veronica was too tired to get up with me, having stayed up half the night reading. So I went alone. 

It was beautiful--little pink and white clouds against the northern mountain, cool air and no wind. It was a good time to think. 

As I did, I thought of a problem I'm working through. It's a good-sized problem and is going to require a good sized effort. I gave myself a little pep talk and told myself that my resolve needed to be unwavering.

Then, being the word nerd that I am, I realized I'd just used resolve as a noun (a firm determination to do something). Usually I'd think of resolve as a verb (settle or find a solution to). And then I realized that you could use resolve two ways in the same sentence. "My resolve will help me resolve this problem." 

Cool, huh?

Can you think of any other words that can be used as both a noun and a verb in the same sentence? I'd imagine there are some, but at the moment I can't think of any. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
no I cannot! but your love of words is very interesting to me and you will probably think of some more examples. I will be watching to see what you come up with. LMH
missy said…
I was just sitting here surfing the web when I came across "You will marvel at the marvels..." Does that count?

Good luck with your good-sized problem. And way to exercise when no one was waiting for you to show up!
Mary said…
google, camp, cloud, cook, dream, aim, knit, hammer, oh hell, just google it
Gary said…
sleep,, how many sleeps until Christmas?
Lori said…
run, sail, play, watch, picture, stand, smell. THat 's all I've got right now.
Anonymous said…
If I run fast enough I will score a run.

If I hit the ball in fair territory, they will credit me with a hit.

You don't have to walk to first base when the umpire awards you a walk.

When I catch a fast-ball, may dad often says nice catch.