Whitney Finalists - Speculative

I've said before that I don't really like speculative fiction. And then I realize I liked The Host, The Shiver series, all the youth speculative finalists, and several others. So maybe I do like speculative fiction after all. More than any other category, this one felt like it was all over the place. The books were hard to compare to each other because they were all so different.

The finalists were:
The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel by Brandon Sanderson
I Don't Want to Kill You by Dan Wells
The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card
A Night of Blacker Darkness by Dan Wells
No Angel by Theresa Sneed
The Alloy of Law was really cool. As I read, I could picture a movie with special effects like Sherlock Holmes or The Matrix. I found it pretty entertaining. A Night of Blacker Darkness proved that Dan Wells is a very versatile author. It was funny and so clever.

The biggest surprise in this group, however, was I Don't Want to Kill You. It's the third book in a trilogy--I Am Not A Serial Killer, Mr. Monster and finally I Don't Want to Kill You. I read I Am Not A Serial Killer last spring and was surprised (and a little disappointed) at the supernatural element, so I wasn't expecting to like this book much. In fact, I found myself putting it off because I hadn't read the second book and I didn't think I'd like it. I was wrong. I liked it, it made me sad and it made me happy. There were a few jaw-dropping surprises. I couldn't put it down and that has to mean something.

If you've read any of these, tell me what you think!

Up Next: Youth Fiction - Speculative

Comments