She's All Grown Up

I love how you're confident enough to choose where you'll go to college with the help of prayer, but you still ask me which shoes you should wear.

I love how you're capable of closing a business, but still want someone to make cookies with you.

I love how you read a novel in an afternoon and then beg me to hurry up and finish it too, so we can talk about it.

I love how your schoolwork is perfectly organized but your bedroom is the picture of teenage girl messiness.

I love how you'd like to hang out with your mom and aunts, but are always willing to go play with the little children that love you so much.

I love how you're best friends with your friends without ever leaving out your best friends that are family.

I love how you cry because something is hard and then you grit your teeth and tackle it.

I love how you stick up for yourself when you're mistreated and then forgive those who mistreated you.

I love how my heart breaks that you're all grown up but my heart bursts because you've given me every reason to know that you're going to be all right.

I love you so much. Happy birthday, Veronica.

Comments

Anonymous said…
AMEN to all the lovely things that your Mom said! And a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my PENPAL, my FRIEND,
my GRANDDAUGHTER. I love you. Thanks so much for humoring me all these years by writing me letters and sharing your life with me. You know how I love to SEND and RECEIVE MAIL...REAL MAIL.
I love you, Grandma KMH Higginson
Anonymous said…
Um, no Grandma. I think you're humoring me. I love getting your letters in the mail! So much! They make my day so much better. Thank you. Love you!
Veronica
Kristi said…
What a beauty. I can't believe she is a grown up already.
So where is she going to college?
That Veronica is an amazing girl. You are so lucky to have her as yours.
Mindy said…
Beautifully written... I can relate to every word. :)
Scott / Lori said…
So much to love about Veronica! Happy Birthday. Can't believe how quickly the past 18 years have gone. We love you!!!!!
missy said…
A beautiful girl with beautiful qualities! You're a lucky/blessed mom!! :) Does high school graduation and sending them off to college get any easier after your first?
Anonymous said…
wow. That could be a published book all it's own. Beautiful. What an amazing daughter you have. One whom I often use as an example for my own daughter.
Happy Birthday America. You are beautiful and wonderful and we love you.
Karey said…
Missy,

Not really. I just have to try not to think about it too much. It helps that she's not going too far away, though. I can go pick her up for lunch or to get groceries and she can easily come home for an evening. I'll need that as much as she does.
Pam said…
what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful gal....Happy birthday sweet gal
LaRee said…
Wow Karey, such a sweet way to let your daughter know how much you love & care for her. Kids just grow up way to fast. Happy Birthday beautiful Veronica!