Oh the Joy of Birthdays

I've heard people say that birthdays lose their excitement the older you get. Maybe it's because you don't want to acknowledge that you're a year older or maybe it's because you no longer want the spotlight shined your way. It could be both of these things and many more.

Facebook has made it difficult to let the day sneak by unnoticed and so for that reason I had many kind people wish me a happy birthday.

Then there was my family, who did nice things for me--from a cute book offering foot rubs and baked goods to everyone doing extra chores so I could relax. To top off the day there was The Cheesecake Factory. There was no way I was going back to Joe's Crab Shack. Last year they brought out the coconut shells and grass skirt and tried to get me to dance while they sang. Not something I intend to ever repeat. 

This year, I begged my family not to reveal that it was my birthday. I ate a small salad and when it was time for dessert, I poured over the two pages of cheesecakes and desserts, but nothing sounded good. So we left without dessert.

You might be tempted to marvel at my willpower or to congratulate me on my self control. Don't. I would have gladly shared a couple of desserts with the family any other year. But this year has been different.

Gone was my plan to do an act of service for each year of my life.
Gone was my love of cheesecake.
Gone was my stamina.

In place of all these things were the straggling remains of the Goliath-sized kidney stones I've spent the last 5 weeks, 2 surgeries, 1 emergency room visit and numerous doctor appointments trying to get rid of. Instead of a fun, service-filled birthday, I spent most of the day on the couch trying unsuccessfully not to throw up. 

I'll end the medical history there, so that I don't remind you of THAT person we all know. You know the one. 

I look forward to another year filled with family, friends, a son coming home from his mission, a daughter starting college, the release of another book or two, and hopefully a piece of cheesecake.

HERE'S TO THE BANISHMENT OF KIDNEY STONES!!!

If I shout it loud enough and often enough, do you think I can will it to be so? Feel free to toast my birthday with the same sentiments.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I enjoyed your post and I am with you on the "banishment of kidney stones." Love you, love your family, excited about your new book(s), hope you have a better birthday next year. Couldn't you have taken a piece of cheesecake home to eat when you felt better? Just askin? LMH