Thirty Days of Thanks - Day 12 - November 12

Today I'm thankful for glasses.

I had nearly perfect vision for years. Several times over the years, we had insurance that covered a yearly eye exam and every year I'd leave empty-handed. My vision was excellent.

Several years passed with no eye insurance and then a new insurance carrier again offered a yearly eye exam. I went to my appointment believing I still had good eyes. To my surprise, the doctor told me I needed glasses. I tried on some frames and tried to pick something I wouldn't feel too self-conscious in and then left.

A week later I returned to pick up my glasses. The doctor made some little adjustments and I left with my first pair of glasses. I didn't have to wear them all the time, just for watching television or driving. Anything long distance. I got in the car, pulled out the cute little case, and tried on my new glasses.

Suddenly the giant tree across the street wasn't just a big green tree, but a tree with thousands of individual leaves. I lifted them up and saw the tree without detail and put them back on to see each leaf and branch and even the texture of the bark.

I hadn't even realized I was squinting to see basketball scores on television until I had my glasses. Suddenly the numbers and letters became crisp and clear.

The world looks very different when you can see things clearly.

Comments

Anonymous said…
unfortunately, most people do not see things clearly even with glasses. DO I sound negative? I am not trying to be. It is just the first thought that came to my mind.

I, too, am also thankful for glasses. I wear them and I appreciate that I can see clearer as well. An added bonus is that they hide the bags under my eyes. (-;
Love, LMH