Review - A Way Back to You by Emily Gray Clawson

What would you do if you were given a second chance? Annabelle, whom nearly everyone calls Anne, has been stuck in the past for two years. Numbed by grief over her husband's unexpected death and overwhelmed with the responsibility of raising their three young children alone, Anne agrees to let a friend take the kids for the weekend while she tries to get some much-needed rest at her parent's home. But when Anne wakes up the next morning, she is suddenly sixteen again. And it just happens to be the worst day she spent as a teenager. High school the second time around brings unforeseen changes and frustrations, but remembering that her future husband, Mitch, has just returned from a mission and is living on the other side of town gives Anne hope. Getting Mitch's attention (for the second time) is more complicated than she could have imagined, but Anne discovers she is stronger than she believed possible—and there just might be a future for her after all.

My Review

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. I was one of the few people who didn't like The Time Traveller's Wife, after all. I was pleasantly surprised, however. A Way Back to You was entertaining, emotional, and unpredictable. It kept me up until the wee hours of the morning because I had to know what was going to happen.

Ann is a sympathetic woman, even heartbreaking. The death of her husband has left her reeling and she's having a hard time anchoring herself in her own life. Her time-travel experience was so good. The story didn't get mired down or confusing. Living life as a 16 year old with a 38 year old's experiences and perspective were humorous and profound. It made me wish I could go back and live my teenage years over with the life perspective I have now. Wouldn't we see things so differently?

I don't want to spoil the book for you so I won't go into details. I will say that with just a couple of little over-reaches during the time as a teenager, I thought this was a great book and would whole-heartedly recommend it. Be sure to add it to your books to read this summer. I think you'll be glad you did.

Comments

Emily Clawson said…
Thanks for the kind review and for sharing A Way Back To You with your readers!