Review: Crucible of Doubt by Terryl and Fiona Givens

I must admit I'm really struggling with this review and even debated not doing a review at all, but I think it deals with an important subject and the book was full of good information, so I'm going to share it with you and hope I don't turn anyone away from the book that could use it.

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon). I've had personal experiences that anchor me in the gospel and and make me a firm believer in Jesus Christ. I've experienced the joy that comes from sharing the good news of the gospel with others, both on my mission and in my regular life. I'm always so excited when I see someone have their life blessed and improved by gaining faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I've also experienced the sadness and frustration that comes with people I care about leaving the church because their questions aren't answered in a way that satisfies them.

This book was written for those people who have questions that test their faith and for that, I applaud the authors. I found the way they addressed some of those questions fascinating. BUT maybe I'm just not as bright as I like to think I am, and maybe this book is written for people far more intellectual than I am, because I felt like it was hard to read. I found myself having to re-read things just to understand what the authors were saying. My fear is that it might be too difficult for many people to get through. On the other hand, it might be perfect for intellectual, deep thinkers, who pore over what they read in a different way than me. So maybe it's exactly what some questioners need. I just struggled.

I do feel there's a place for a book like this, I just wish it would have felt more accessible to little old me. In spite of that, I'd absolutely recommend it to my super-smart friends and family who struggle with faith. You know who you are.

Comments