Review: How Do I Know if I Know by John Bytheway


I cannot say enough about this book. Seriously I can't.

I read this book with my two teenagers. It was a really good experience as we were able to read and talk about testimony and how we know if we have one and how to recognize the parts of a testimony. There are so many easy-to-understand analogies that help make testimony an understandable thing instead of something abstract that we hear about but often can't define except in more abstracts.

I was also able to share a couple of things with my missionary daughter that are helpful to investigators who aren't sure where they're at on their road to conversion.

There is some humor and sarcasm, although it's a little cheesy, but that isn't what makes this book so readable. I love that it took abstract ideas and gave them concrete ways to understand them. A couple of my favorites involved the lights of a Christmas tree and a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle. When you read the book, you'll see what I mean. LOVED those two analogies and they're so pertinent today.

This is a book I think every family with teenagers should read together. It opens up conversation about testimony and it's a great launching pad for more gospel study as each chapter ends with suggested reading that includes conference talks and excerpts from other books. I also think this would be a great book for anyone who is having doubts or questions about their faith and who wonder if they still have a testimony.

I really loved this book and recommend it as enthusiastically as possible.

Comments